The Cooperative Center for Study Abroad – CCSA -- fosters international understanding and enhances the education of students through reasonably priced education abroad opportunities. CCSA has a 30+ year track record of successful summer and winter programs in English-speaking countries. We seek new member institutions with innovative faculty and adventurous students.
CCSA is 501(c)(3) that supports our member institutions by offering the opportunity for students to enroll in and faculty to teach credit-bearing and continuing education unit courses.
Benefits of CCSA
- Freedom to design your own unique course or choose from many pre-designed syllabi.
- Recruit from a larger pool of students. CCSA member schools offer over 250,000 potential participants.
- CCSA courses are open to students from any US college or university.
- CCSA staff assist with the logistical planning of your course including bookings, travel, applications, insurance, student payments, risk management and more.
- Faculty are provided lodging, roundtrip air travel, per diem, on-site transportation cards (where available) and many meals.
- CCSA provides digital and print marketing materials and support. CCSA staff support faculty recruiting at other institutions.
- Support from veteran CCSA faculty who can help you identify new and exciting course content in the program destination.
- Faculty training, orientation, and professional development opportunities.
- On-site support from experienced CCSA staff
- CCSA courses fit in your schedule by offering winter term and summer term options.
- Programs are lower cost and contain more included excursions and activities in the base program price than other study abroad options.
- CCSA courses are designed for first-time abroad students, providing extra layers of support and development through one-on-one sessions, small group orientations and detailed pre-departure cultural competency training.
- Direct support in-transit and on-site from trained CCSA staff.
- Students travel with faculty and staff from select US airports as a group -or- students can book their own airfare and travel independently
For Member Schools
- CCSA complements and extends your existing faculty-directed programs
- Two-way and transparent communication between the programs and your school. Always know what is going on with your students on-site.
- Risk Management
- CCSA programs and course activities are reviewed and vetted by experienced faculty and staff.
- Emergency medical and security evacuation procedures in place to remove students from critical situations.
- Comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance for every participant.
- An active academic advisory group to assist your faculty in developing their syllabi and skills.
- Full access to the CCSA application admin system. See all information your students have submitted through our online portal.
- Flexible model for how credit is awarded for your students.
- No annual membership fee.
Tuition and Course Registration:
CCSA allows member-schools to determine how their students register for courses and receive credit for CCSA programs. Options inlcude:
- Home-School Credit: Your institution creates the course and registers the student for credit.
- WKU Credit: All students from your institution receive credit and a transcript from CCSA's host intitution - Western Kentucky University. CCSA handles course creation, registration, grade entry and delivery of post-program transcript. Student pay a flat $100 fee to CCSA for registration and transcript, but are waived all tuition.
- Hybrid: Students from your institution taking a course taught by your faculty receive credit from your institution. Students from your institution taking courses taught by faculty from a different CCSA school follow the "WKU Credit" path.
Campus Representatives. Members name a Campus Representative; the advocate who is instrumental to CCSA's success on your campus.
Regionally accredited American colleges and universities may join CCSA at the membership level that best fits the institution’s needs. CCSA assesses an initial membership fee and offers three member levels:
- Full Membership. Full access for students and faculty to CCSA courses. Representation on Board of Trustees. One-time membership fee of $4,000.
- Associate Membership. Four year term. Full access for students and faculty to CCSA courses. Representation on Board of Trustees. Discounted membership fee of $2,000.
- Affiliate Membership. Three year term. No membership fee for first 20 affiliate members. Full access for students and faculty to CCSA courses.